Once in a while a girl needs something that will always bring a smile to hear face. Whether it relieves stress, makes her laugh, or simply lights up her eyes every girl needs a few "go-to's" for a quick pick me up. While I may not like "raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens," I still have a few of my own favorite things that lift my spirits. Here are a few of them:
1. Bubble Baths with a Great Book--I am fairly certain nothing is more relaxing at the end of a long day than to curl up with a book surrounded by lightly perfumed bubbles in a moment of complete isolation. A bubble bath is probably one of the ultimate comforts in the world and when coupled with familiar characters as Winnie Foster and Jesse Tuck (who is subsequently another one of my fictional J-crushes), or Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, it becomes something rather Celestial. Aside from that it allows me time to unwind my stress, clear my thoughts, and soothe my soul. Who wouldn't want to experience all of those things?
2. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn Movies--There is something about an old movie that always makes me beam. And when that old movie can boast Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, or both I am in a very comfortable place. Who doesn't want to watch Cary Grant take a shower in his suit or dream of being a model in Paris like Audrey Hepburn. I am fairly certain it would be no 'Charade' for me to say I am in a 'S Wonderful' mood when watching these two classy stars of the past.
3. Chocolate and Peanut Butter--In any form chocolate and peanut butter are probably one of the ultimate comfort foods. And there are so many ways to partake of them. Muddy Buddies, Reese's, Reese's Pieces, Ice Cream, etc. You name it, they probably make it with chocolate and peanut butter. And if it exists I am probably very willing to try it.
4. Italy--One day I will go to Italy and it will be a very magnificent day indeed. I want to see the Vatican City in Rome and float in a gondola along the canals of Venice. I want to visit Verona, the city of Romeo and Juliet. I want to dab gelato on a guy's nose like Sophie in Letter's to Juliet. Italy is this foreign and beautiful enigma in my mind and one day I hope to discover its mysteries first hand.
5. Michael Buble and Josh Groban--To see them in concert is part of my bucket list. Luckily I have checked off Michael's concert, which was spectacular, and only have Josh left to meet. Something about the Buble-swoon and the classic-Groban just steals my heart. Any time. It is part of my old-fashioned, classically trained, music nerd that comes out and just takes control. Either will put a smile on my face. Together, I couldn't even imagine.
6. Wackee Six--Although I can get rather competitive while playing, I really just enjoy the time it gives me with my friends. We are all caught up, can laugh, joke, tease, etc. Anything goes really. Really the social butterfly in me emerges whenever we can get together for a night of fun and games. I just like having people around me who like me for who I am and together we can make memories that will never go away. That is what Wackee Six means to me. Company. Friendship. Memories. Fun. All things wonderful.
7. The Fluffy Snowflakes--More often than not I am a winter resenter. I hate the cold. I hate the bad roads. I hate the wet. But when the big flakes begin to lightly fall something in me changes. The world takes on a new hue. The world becomes suddenly romantic.
8. The Mail Dance--I love getting mail. Not only does it feel sentimental and romantic, but I love that someone thinks enough of me once in a while to write a letter. They ask how I am doing, share a funny story, and recount good memories. Nothing can ever replace the beauty of a handwritten letter. Either way, when I open the mail box and see my name a rather unique, and now ritualistic dance, emerges in my excitement. If you have witnessed the mail dance, you have experienced something special.
9. Daises--After all, they are the friendliest flower. I love Daises. They aren't intimidating and overtly sophisticated like some flowers out there. They just seem to be the flowers that remind you of the people you love most in life...of the sun...of sitting in a calm relaxing wood. Even Meg Ryan loves them in You've Got Mail. Even when they are provided to her by her mortal enemy. Daises in a way are a truce and great way to establish a friendship. They always brighten my day.
10. Disneyland--The Happiest Place On Earth. I think that sums it up. The magic of the original land of wonder can never be surpassed. You can never be too old to enjoy its thrills or too mature to not let out your inner child. Riding through Pirate ridden waters, being spooked by hundreds of friendly ghosts, flying off to Neverland with Wendy, Peter, and Michael, or touring Sleeping Beauty's Castle are unforgettable moments in my life. A million priceless memories can be made in Disneyland.
11. Fresh Raspberries--I haven't always had a thing for raspberries. When I was younger the seeds getting in my teeth really bothered me. But as I grew older I came to love their tart juiciness on my tongue. My developing love for raspberries was solidified by an act of service that I will never forget. When I got my Wisdom Teeth out I wasn't in terrible pain but I was starving. It didn't help that every time I woke up the television was playing a commercial for some food I couldn't eat at the time. I remember particularly craving pizza and a Subway sandwich. But my extreme hunger was quenched in a moment of great kindness when one of my best friends showed up on my doorstep with a carton of Reed's Dairy vanilla ice cream and fresh raspberries to make a shake. I cannot begin to tell you how much that moment meant to me and how much it increased my love for fresh raspberries. I guess you could say they have become symbolic for me.
12. Swings--Maybe swings just take me back to the freedom of childhood. I still enjoy them now as much as I did then. Something about flying through the air and joking with friends has become priceless for me. I can't lie, more than one of my romantic fantasies involves a swing. They are so simple, but at the same time so entertaining. Nothing can ever match my love for swinging.
13. My Front Porch In the Spring--Simply magical. I love the bees humming by our blossoming trees, bushes, and flowers. I love the cool glass of lemonade and new book that make up my company. The flip-flops on my feet and the neighbors walking by. Little kids playing in their yards and whizzing past on bicycles. Spring is always a new start. These small moments, that remind me there is always potential for something beautiful around the corner. I guess it has become symbolic for me. Of comfort. Of peace. Of renewal. Of beauty. How could it not be one of my favorite things?